Palm reading, otherwise known as palmistry or chiromancy, is practiced all over the world. It has its roots in Indian astrology and Roma fortune-telling.The objective is to evaluate a person’s character or future by studying the palm of their hand. Whether you’re an aspiring palm reader or you’re just looking for a fun way to pass the time and impress your friends, even you can learn to gain insight just by holding someone’s hand.
Choose a hand. In palmistry, it is thought that:
- For females, the right hand is what you’re born with, and left is what you’ve accumulated throughout your life.
- For males, it is the other way around. The left hand is what you’re born with, and the right is what you’ve accumulated throughout your life.
- That being said, you can also choose whichever hand is dominant to be your present/past life hand (the non-dominant hand would then be your future life hand).
- There are different schools of thought on the matter. Some say the left hand shows potential and what could be — not necessarily what will be. And a difference in the hands could mean one is or is about to take action when it comes to their lives, changing it.
Identify the four major lines. There may be breaks in them or they may be short, but at least three of them are there.
- (1) The heart line
- (2) The head line
- (3) The life line
- (4) The fate line (only some people have this).
Interpret the heart line. This line can be read in either direction (from the pinkie finger to the index finger or vice versa) depending on the tradition being followed. It’s believed to indicate emotional stability, romantic perspectives, depression, and cardiac health. The basic interpretations are as follows:
- Begins below the index finger – content with love life
Examine the head line. This represents a person’s learning style, communication approach, intellectualism, and thirst for knowledge. A curved line is associated with creativity and spontaneity, while a straight line is linked with practicality and a structured approach. The basic interpretations are as follows:
- Short line – prefers physical achievements over mental ones
Evaluate the life line. This begins near the thumb and travels in an arc towards the wrist. It reflects physical health, general well being, and major life changes (for example, cataclysmic events, physical injuries, and recolation). Its length is not associated with length of life. The basic interpretations are as follows:
- Runs close to thumb – often tired
Study the fate line. This is also known as the line of destiny, and it indicates the degree to which a person’s life is affected by external circumstances beyond their control. It begins at the base of the palm. The basic interpretations are as follows:
- Deep line – strongly controlled by fate